The 1928 building housing Congregation Rodeph Shalom is on the National Register of Historic Places. Located on Broad Street just north of City Hall, the Congregation planned an expansion that would not only add programmable space to their existing building, but also would solve a variety of access issues inherent to the building. By expanding to the south side of the building, a new addition reorients the building entrance with a new lobby and accessible entry sequence. Axial relationships are established from the new addition to the existing building, forging strong connections both functionally and aesthetically. Ramps from the new lobby allow dignified accessible entry to the original building’s main Sanctuary along a skylit gallery. A new elevator in the addition that serves all floors and new corridor connections at each floor significantly improve the flow throughout the building. In addition to a large new meeting room which anchors the ground floor of the new addition, selected interior spaces were also renovated for new uses. A new outdoor play area and extensive landscaping supplement the building improvements.
”The addition and renovation to Congregation Rodeph Shalom required a construction team sensitive to historic architecture, flexible in working on an occupied site, and collaborative with Owner and Architect. INTECH was selected based on these criteria and has succeeded by all measures. The keys have been strong management, clear communication, and high quality work. Throughout the life of the project, [INTECH was] fully committed to achieving excellence and providing value in all aspects of the work.”Richard L. Maimon FAIA, LEED AP BD+C Partner KieranTimberlake