Tacony Library is on the Philadelphia Historic Register, originally constructed in 1906 as part of the Andrew Carnegie $1.5M grant to Philadelphia. Located at the intersection of Torresdale Avenue and Knorr Street, the existing building has an elevated main floor, with a steep set of stairs at the main entrance facing Torresdale Avenue. This project added a 1,900 SF addition to the Knorr Street side of the building, providing an at-grade entrance to the building. The addition houses an elevator, two ADA-compliant toilet rooms, and a Quiet Room. The materials of the new addition include brick that closely matches the original building, and glazing with a ceramic frit pattern that is similar to the muntins of the existing historic building.
The T-shaped original structure was completely renovated, and previous non-historic interventions were removed. Perimeter wood book shelving was restored and augmented, and colorful, free-standing furniture creates a “living room”, teen space, computer lab, mentoring space, and expanded children’s area. Mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and lighting systems were replaced and upgraded throughout.
“The Free Library Foundation found INTECH to be a great partner, always responsive to our questions and needs as well as those of the community members in each neighborhood. Its staff is highly professional and was a pleasure to work with. We appreciate INTECH’s dedication to high-quality work.”Sandra A. Horrocks Vice President, External Affairs, Parkway Central Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation