Designed by architect Eero Saarinen in 1958 for the University of Pennsylvania’s campus, Hill College House is an internationally recognized architectural landmark located at the corner of 33rd and Walnut Streets. Originally a women’s dormitory, the building’s entry is a bridge, and the surrounding spiked metal fence encloses a grassy “moat” around the building. The living spaces, including five floors of dorm rooms for 500 (now co-ed) students, lounges, and seminar rooms, are built around a vast central atrium that overlooks a dining area on the lower level. It is one of Penn’s largest college houses.
A major renovation of the building addressed its maintenance and upgrade needs. Work included the conversion of all bathrooms to individual restrooms and shower rooms, renovations to all dorm rooms and common spaces, significant upgrades to MEP systems, and a major upgrade to the kitchen and dining areas. In addition, the building envelope was improved with a new roof and curtainwall, repair of existing masonry, and upgrades to two existing roof terraces. Existing windows were removed, refurbished, and reinstalled as part of the project, and a new bridge was constructed at the building’s entry.
“INTECH assisted with the complex pre-planning for Hill College House for nearly two years and skillfully managed the project during the 16 months of construction. Their knowledge of the University, their collaborative spirit, and their flexibility allowed the project to run smoothly throughout, delivering a completed residence hall on time
and on budget.”Alison Baxter, AIA Senior Associate Mills + Schnoering Architects